Chiu Chiu

A must-see for tourists following the “Inca trail”; this is an oasis of shade in the middle of the desert. Inhabited by communities from Atacama, its easy-going pace is only interrupted by religious festivities which, depending on the patron saint, include confetti, flour or algarrobo drinks (fermented drink made from the pods and seeds of the algarrobo tree). Try the typical food of the north and don’t forget to visit the San Francisco Church, built in the 1600s. It is the oldest church in Chile and was built using millennial indigenous techniques. Go in and marvel: it is made out of mud and cactus wood.
unpinnedSave it
unpinned
Padre Le Paige Museum
Founded by Belgian priest Gustavo Le Paige, the Archaeological Museum that takes his name shows the evolution of the atacameñan culture throughout more than eleven thousand years, through a valuable collection of Andean archaeology that it includes, among other things, pieces of ceramics, clothes, utensils, and mummies, being famous the old atacameñan mummy found in the desert and baptized like Miss Chile. The history of the museum goes back to 1955 when Le Paige takes root in San Pedro by its church work and, in a parallel way, dedicates to the study of the atacameñan past. Crossing villages and cemeteries he manages to collect the material that is kept in the parochial house. With the aid of the local population, the priest reunites the materials and initiates the construction of a place where to expose the pieces and soon he obtains the support of the Catholic University of the North, then pertaining to the Jesuita order, to qualify the museum. In 1957 the first museum is inaugurated, which contained numerous Hispanic pieces (ceramics, textile, metals) and atacameñas mummies. In 1963, with the support of the Catholic University of the North, it inaugurates the first pavilion of the present museum, located in the center of San Pedro de Atacama. This museum counts with a collection of approximately 380,000 pieces found in the atacameñan territory, that correspond to the period from the origins of the San Pedro culture to the arrival of the Spanish.
unpinned
Tulor Village
Tulor Village was an important city circa 2800 b.C. with 200 inhabitants. Today, it´s a museum that seems to have been burried under the sand, right in the middle of the desert. The new town features houses built with mud, just like the first inhabitants used to build their homes, surrounded by walls that worked as protection. The constructions reach the 2 meters high and most of them have balconies.
Explore more places related to this search:
unpinned
Museo Universitario Charcas
The Museo Universitario Charcas is located in a 17th century mansion and is owned and operated by the Universidad San Francisco Xavier. Museo Universitario Charcas comprises three separate museums: the Anthropological Museum, the Colonial Museum, and the Gallery of Contemporary Art. The anthropological museum was established in 1944. It is responsible for collating and preserving the region’s anthropological data, and has items from 3,600 years ago right up to the beginning of the Spanish colonization of the area. The museum exhibits include mummified human remains dating from 700-800 AD, and the highly detailed pottery work of the Yampara culture. The colonial museum houses hundreds of artifacts from Sucre’s colonial times, including religious artifacts, paintings and objects fashioned from Potosi silver. One of the most noteworthy works is Melchor Pérez Holguín’s, San Juan de Dios, with its exceedingly accurate depiction of human hands. Sucre’s museum of modern art, the gallery of contemporary art, exhibits works by local artists, many of which focus on the hardships faced by the indigenous population, particularly those working in the mines of Potosi.
unpinned
Sucre Metropolitan Cathedral
As the seat of the Roman Catholic Church in Bolivia, the Metropolitan Cathedral of Sucre (or Catedral Metropolitana) is of great importance to the deeply religious city. Construction started on what was then the Cathedral Church of La Plata on June 27, 1552. Works would not fully complete until 260 years later, in 1712. What began as a Renaissance design gradually evolved, during this time, to include baroque and mestizo baroque features. Inside, the expansive white nave is beautifully lit by the sunlight which filters through the many stained glass windows. It is decorated with crystal chandeliers and embellishments in gold and Potosi silver. The walls are lined with large oil paintings, by the artist Montufar, depicting the martyrdom of the apostles. The pews are hand-carved, as are the choir chairs which are additionally brightly-painted and finished in velvet. The white, gold-trimmed, pulpit features an angel in old-fashioned Spanish military clothing. The altar is crowned by a silver crucifix known as the Cross of Carabuco.
unpinned
Cristo de La Concordia
The so-called Cristo de La Concordia is a colossal statue located in the city of Cochabamba- Bolivia, Since the year 1987 It is part of the tourist attraction of the city. The image is considered to be the world's largest Jesus statue. Given its dimensions, the image is visible from almost anywhere in the city. The dimension of the body of the statue from the feet to the top of the head is of 34 meters. The circular base or pedestal measures 6 meters. In total the Colossus overcomes them 40 meters. The view at the top is incredible beauty to see the panorama of the city of Cochabamba in all its glory, overlooking the laguna Alalay to the South side and to the back of the statue, Sacaba municipality. At the top of the hill there is a viewpoint and various services that are offered to travelers as taking pictures, display with larga-vistas, Kiosk, meals, etc. At the base of the Christ is a small museum that displays exhibition of photos and characteristics of the work environments. From here also begin the stairs that spiral as a fairly narrow, They allow to climb level by level to the interior of the statue up to the height of arms. The interior of the statue are small windows from which you can see the city from the top and taking pictures.
unpinned
Arequipa Peru Temple
The Arequipa Peru Temple site is located just three miles north of the city center near the entrance to the quiet village of Carmen Alto. The land stands on a bluff rising from the Chili River and surrounded by breathtaking pastures and mountain views including the prominent volcano Misti.
unpinned
Arequipa Cathedral and Museum
One of the first 17th century monuments in the City. It was built of "sillar" (a volcanic stone) in the neoclassical style. I
unpinned
Santa Catalina Monastery
Built in 1580 and eventually expanded to include cloisters, plazas, streets, tiled roofs, and cobblestone paving, this walled citadel served as a totally enclosed convent for nuns from the city's most distinguished families.
unpinned
Uros Floating Islands
Have you ever though of living on a middle of the lake? The Uros people of Lake Titicaca have achieved just that at 3,810 metres above sea level! They created their own floating island from local reed to house their villages. They fish and travel by boat from one island to another. You can visit the islands with a tour and see how the people of Uros live or book a homestay with a local Uros family to fully experience their way of life.
unpinned
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu is an Incan city surrounded by temples, terraces and water channels, built on a mountaintop. It was built with huge blocks of stone joined to each other without any mortar. Today it has been designated cultural heritage of humanity in recognition of its political, religious and administrative importance during the age of the Incas. Machu Picchu means Old Mountain, taking its name from the location of the Incan citadel. According to historians, the architectural complex was built in the 15th century, approximately, by the Inca Pachacutec. Machu Picchu was linked to the entire Inca Empire via the Qhapaq Ñan, the famous roads of the Incas. The citadel is divided into two areas: the agricultural area consisting of the terraces, and the urban section, which served administrative purposes. The average altitude of the citadel is 8047 feet above sea level. Its exact location is in the Machu Picchu district, province of Urubamba, 70 miles northeast of the city of Cusco. The mountains of Wayna Picchu and Machu Picchu are perfect for taking panoramic photos of the entire architectural complex.
unpinned
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Loreto
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Loreto is located opposite the Plaza Sarmiento, between Moreno and Lavalle streets. It is one of the oldest in the city and still retains its original architectural structure despite having undergone several modifications. The original cathedral located in the Old Town was destroyed by an earthquake in 1861. Its replacement was planned for the New Town opposite the Plaza Independencia, but after construction began it had to be demolished, targeting the land to the construction of another building.
unpinned
San Felipe Wine Museum - La Rural Winery
The idea was born with Mr. Francisco Rutini, Mr. Felipe Rutini’s oldest son, who in 1.945 wanted to open a museum where the most important elements of the history of wine in Mendoza could be shown. The museum is inside the winery ‘La Rural’ and has a great variety of machines, carriages, presses and other elements that contributed to the wine industry in Mendoza: 4.500 pieces, among which old presses, coopers’ tools, mud barrels from the colonial times, enology books and catalogs, laboratory elements, and half a hundred carriages outstand. These pieces were recovered from the warehouse of the winery ‘La Rural’ and the area of Maipu district.
unpinned
Wulff Castle
Mr. Gustavo Wulff, German saltpeter and coal trader, as well as maritime transporter, migrated to Chile in 1881. In 1904, he bought from Dr. Teodoro Von Schoeders 1,260m2 in front of Cerro Castillo (Castle Hill), in Viña del Mar where he had a house built and ready in 1908.
unpinned
Quinta Vergara
At the beginning of XIX century it was property of Juan Antonio de la Carrera and his wife. He sold these lands to the Portuguese Merchant Francisco Salvador Alvarez in 1840, and he built here his house.
unpinned
Cementerio General de Santiago
Named one of the World’s Most Scenic Cemeteries by CNN, Santiago’s sprawling Cementerio General is definitely worth a visit. Spread over 210 acres (85 hectares) just North of the city center in the Recoleta neighborhood, this lavish and expansive cemetery is a history enthusiast and explorer’s dream.
unpinned
Museo a Cielo Abierto
An exemplar of street art in Santiago, the Museo a Cielo Abierto (the Open Air Museum), located in the neighborhood of San Miguel, features dozens of enormous murals and makes for a noteworthy visit for those seeking an artistic excursion.
unpinned
Juan B. Castagnino Municipal Museum of Fine Arts
Located on one of the borders of the Parque Independencia, on Pellegrini Avenue, the Juan B. Castagnino Museum of Fine Arts is the most important museological center in the heart of the country. Conceived in 1936 as one of the most modern buildings for its time, it has two stories with a total of 35 exhibition rooms. In the inside, it treasures works from all times, origins and schools. The museum’s heritage consists in two permanent collections: European art, from the XV to the XX century and Argentinian Art, from their precursors to contemporary artists.
unpinned
National Monument to the Flag
The city of Rosario was marked by a historical fact whose relevance transcended the local context, setting a landmark on national history: the hoisting of the National Flag created by Manuel Belgrano, on the cliffs of the Paraná River in February 27, 1872. This significant event filled the people of Rosario with so much pride that they slogged away at raising a monument in commemoration of such episode. Today, Rosario has the responsibility of showing the world the National Monument to the Flag, unique in its kind, planted on the historical cliffs of the Paraná, those which witnessed the birth of the colors of our motherland.
unpinned
Cathedral of Lima
The Cathedral of Lima in the city’s historic centre is Lima’s most iconic building and home to the best museum of religious art. It is also known for being home to the tomb of Spanish conquistador, Francisco Pizarro. The main church of Peru dates back to 1535 when Francisco Pizarro first laid the foundation for the church which would serve the new Spanish colonists. The temple was inaugurated in 1540 and elevated to the status of cathedral in 1541 when the Lima diocese was formed. The new design included the two neoclassical bell towers the structure is recognized by and the main altar. Other renovations came in the 19th century and after the earthquake of 1940. The Cathedral of Lima was visited by four saints of the colonial era including Santa Rosa de Lima, San Martin de Porres, San Juan Macias and San Francisco Solano. In 1985 Pope John Paul II visited in a historic first, and he returned in 1988. With all the phases of construction led to a mix of architectural styles, as in most of Lima, including neoclassical, baroque and gothic.
unpinned
Lima Plaza Mayor
The Plaza Mayor or Plaza de Armas (as it was known until 1990), is the oldest public place in Lima. In 1535 the conquistador Francisco Pizarro founded on the area of an existing indigenous settlement the city of Lima. He designed the main square in the central part of the future city Lima with all important institutions built around it. On the north side of Plaza Mayor is the Palacio de Gobierno, the presidential residence and in colonial times the location of Francisco Pizarros house - later the Palace of the Viceroys. On the east side, you find flanked by the Archbishop's Palace the Cathedral of Lima. The Palacio Municipal is located on the west side of Plaza Mayor. Depending on their importance and rank wealthy and influential immigrants were allowed to build their mansions on properties near the Plaza Mayor. In colonial Lima, the main square was the economic centre of the city. The arcades in front of the main buildings, the small today called Pasaje Olaya and other adjoining streets were full of all sorts of shops. The plaza housed for a long time Limas big food market.
unpinned
Government Palace of Peru
The government palace in Lima exists since the year the city was founded in 1535, but in different forms. It was built in a Huaca, a sanctuary of the chief Taulichusco in the Rímac Valley. This valley was one of the few places that, due to the irrigation systems of the indigenous population, is very fertile and, therefore, suitable for a larger population. Over the centuries, the government palace in the “City of Kings” was rebuilt again and again. The first building, a two-story adobe building, was built by the city’s founder, Francisco Pizarro, first for him. After Peru became a viceroyalty in 1542, the “Casa de Pizarro” became a government palace. Pizarro’s shield still adorns the main portal. The current building dates back to the 1930s and is preserved in a colonial style, but it has older and newer elements, typical of the representative buildings of Peru, which have been regularly damaged by earthquakes and renovated in their respective architectural styles. The Government Palace is located in the Plaza Mayor, the main square of Lima. Share the exclusive place with, among other things, the cathedral and the episcopal palace. It is recognizable by the great Peruvian flag that blows over the portal and the intricately forged fence that surrounds the terrain.
unpinned
Museum of Latin American Art
The Museum of Latin American Art (MALBA) houses the Fundación Costantini collection, with more than 400 works of art by important 20th century Latin American artists. The modern building, constructed from limestone, steal and glass, was built in 1997 by the Atelman-Fourcade-Tapia studio, winners of an international competition whose jury comprised celebrated architects Norman Foster, César Pelli and Mario Botta. The museum is a dynamic, participatory cultural space that, as well as its important permanent collection, showcases a diverse range of major temporary exhibitions, often collaborating with other international museums to bring important artists from around the world. It also boasts a growing library of films and runs important film series, and hosts talks, courses, seminars and book presentations in part of the museum dedicated to literature. The cafe with its park views is also highly rated.
unpinned
National Museum of Fine Arts
The National Museum of Fine Arts houses one of the best art collections in Latin America, and the biggest collection of Argentine art. Located in the Recoleta neighborhood, and part of the Museum Mile, it's permanent collection includes work by El Greco, Goya, Rodin, Rembrandt, Rubens, Renoir, Degas, Cézanne, Chagall and Picasso. Argentine painters include Cándido López, Lino Enea Spilimbergo, Prilidiano Pueyrredón, Fernando Fader, Benito Quinquela Martín, Xul Solar, Antonio Berni, Carlos Alonso y Antonio Seguí.
unpinned
El Ateneo Grand Splendid
According to British newspaper The Guardian, El Ateneo Grand Splendid is the second best bookstore in the world. It preserves the splendour and elegance of the former Gran Splendid theatre/cinema, which was designed by architects Peró and Torres Armengol. Located in the Recoleta neighbourhood, El Grand Spendid theatre opened in 1919 and immediately became a beacon of porteño culture, hosting ballet, opera, and the first "talkies" shown in Buenos Aires. The national Odeon record label - now owned by EMI - was based here, and singers such as Carlos Gardel recorded on the premises.
unpinned
Teatro Colon
The Colón theatre is considered one of the best opera houses in the world, together with La Scala in Milán, the Opera Garnier in Paris and the Royal Opera House in London, and is renowned for its acoustics and architecture. Designed by Francesco Tamburini, Victor Meano and Jules Dormal, and built over 20 years, the theatre opened in 1908 and went on to host some of the most important conductors, singers and dancers of the twentieth century, including Igor Stravinsky, Herbert von Karajan, Daniel Barenboim, Maria Callas, Luciano Pavarotti, Plácido Domingo, Rudolf Nureyev, Julio Bocca and Maximiliano Guerra.
unpinned
Obelisco de Buenos Aires
The iconic Obelisco de Buenos Aires stands at the intersection of two of the city’s most important streets: Avenida Corrientes and Avenida 9 de Julio, the widest street in the world with an incredible 16 lanes. The monument was erected in 1936 to commemorate the first foundation of the city by Pedro de Mendoza in 1536, and marks the sport where the Argentine national flag was raised for the first time. Measuring 67.5 metres in height, the obelisk was was designed by Argentine modernist architect Alberto Prebisch, who also designed the Gran Rex Theatre, which can be found nearby at Corrientes 857.
unpinned
Plaza de Mayo
The Plaza de Mayo is the oldest public square in Buenos aires, and has been the scene of many of the most important events in the city's history, from the second founding of the city in 1580, through the revolution of independence, to more recent political demonstrations. The square is named after the Argentine revolution, which began on May 25, 1810. Around the square are several important buildings: the Cabildo, the Metropolitan Cathedral, where Pope Francis conducted mass for 20 years, the Casa Rosada, seat of the national government, the national revenue office (AFIP), the national bank and the intelligence secretariat.
unpinned
Casa Rosada
Dominating the Plaza de Mayo, the Casa Rosada - or pink house - is the seat of the Argentine national government and houses the president's office. Witness to much of the city's history, it was from the balconies of the Casa Rosada that Juan and “Evita” Perón addressed the masses during the late 1940s and early 1950s. The central archway was designed by Italian architect Francisco Tamburini, who was also responsible for the original design of the Colón Theatre, and was completed in 1890.
unpinned
Lezama Park Museum
Wonderful stories await to be unveiled behind its doors. In the neighborhood of San Telmo, the National Historical Museum is one of the most representative in the Federal District. Home of all the events that took place in Argentina, it also shows stories from Pre-Columbian America and anecdotes from the days of the colony. Located at the highest point in Lezama Park today, MHN is the perfect reflection of ancient architecture. Its front gardens have been impeccably preserved. Many iron and bronze figures, such as old bells and cannons, are on display there. The gate known as Puerta de los Leones (Lions’ Gate), which connects the gardens with the park itself, is also intact.
unpinned
Caminito
Located in La boca, the Caminito (little path, in Spanish) is a street museum of colourful painted houses typical of the immigrant dwellings that came to chracterise this portside area towards the end of the 19th and start of the 20th century. The Caminito followed the route of an old stream that once flowed into the Riachuelo, and later, after the river dried up, formed part of a railroad route. After the closure of the railroad, the street was largely abandoned until in the 1950s a group of neighbours decided to regenerate the area and local artist Benito Quinquela Martín began using the tenements as his canvas. Today, there are several works by Argentine artists incorporated as part of the street museum and the Caminito has become a favourite with visitors to the city. Several restaurants offer tango and folk dance shows and street fills with artists offering original crafts and paintings.
unpinned
Juan Carlos Castagnino Municipal Art Museum
Around the middle of 1980, the old summer house belonging to the traditional family Ortíz Basualdo became the head office of the Juan Carlos Castagnino Municipal Art Museum. The magnificent village, today cultural heritage of the City of Mar del Plata, is located on the Stella Maris hill and surrounds the building designed by architects Louis Dubois and Paul Paters. It was built by the Basualdos in 1909 and remodelled in 1919, but keeping its classical style from the early 20th century. The building is reminiscent of the French Castles from Loira, which is reflected in each room, decorated by the Belgian designer Gustave Serruier-Bovy, who stamped his own art nouveau style on them.
unpinned
Embu das Artes Fair
The Arts and Crafts Fair is one of the main tourist attractions of Embu das Artes, located 27 km from São Paulo. A small town with less than 300 thousand inhabitants that breathes culture, Embu das Artes has its name because it has received great artists, especially Brazilian modernists, such as Anita Malfatti, Oswald de Andrade and Tarsila do Amaral. Occurring since 1969, the Fair occupies the streets of the town’s historical center with artists who exhibit and sell various products, like porcelain, sculptures, paintings, baskets, lace, trinkets, musical instruments and decoration items. The Green Fair also takes place over there, offering plants and ornamental flowers. If you want to learn more about Brazilian history and art, you’ll be amazed by the museums, churches and memorials in town, such as the Jesuit Sacred Art Museum and the Saint Lazarus Chapel. Embu also has many bars and cozy cafes with live music for you to relax and enjoy after seeing the Fair.
unpinned
Museu do Futebol
The Soccer Museum, open in 2008, was created to celebrate the sport that Brazilians are passionate about. The Museum is located in the Pacaembu Stadium, one of the best-known stadiums of São Paulo and fascinates even those who are not entirely a fan. Build in an area of 6,900 m ², the Museum will provide an amazing audiovisual experience. At the Museum, the sport’s history is shown through 18 thematic rooms, 1,500 photographs, 5 hours of videos and other materials. For those who already love soccer, the Museum is a must-see on your trip to Sampa. For those who do not have much interest in the sport, the Museum can completely change your mind once you get to know its space and feel the emotion it transmits in every carefully planned detail.